american men's studies Association
advancing the critical study of men and masculinities
The purpose of the American Men’s Studies Association (AMSA) is to develop the critical studies of men and masculinities globally through the advancement of feminist-informed scholarship. AMSA’s goal is to provide a forum for teachers, researchers, students, artists, and practitioners to collaborate and support one another in a mutually empowering environment. These values are reflected in its conferences, its scholarship, and its members, and is characterized by inclusiveness of those who are historically underrepresented and ethical behavior in high quality research, publication, teaching, and practice.
The American Men’s Studies Association:
1. Supports and encourages research by scholars considering the complexities of gender, including minority, first-generation, people with disabilities, and other scholars who are members of historically oppressed groups and affirms the integration of academia with activism, clinical practice, and art.
2. Asserts the importance of both discipline-specific and interdisciplinary approaches to critical analyses of men and masculinities.
3. Encourages student development through participation and membership, offering scholarship and mentoring opportunities for young scholars in the field.
4. Seeks the participation and membership of all individuals irrespective of gender identity, race, class, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical abilities, nationality, or religious identity.
5. Is committed to social justice struggles for historically oppressed groups.
6. Affirms its commitment to feminist-informed policies, politics, and practices.
(Revised: March 30, 2017)